Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ferber-Night One

So last night Justin and I decided to let Chase "soothe" himself back to sleep when he woke up around 12:30-1:00am. He has gotten in a habit of waking up around that time and I run in, hold him, feed him, and rock him back to sleep. I was having a tough time with this because I know he can sleep a lot longer than 4 hour stretches--he's done it before for days in a row. He was doing great, and then we went to California around New Years. It was a fun trip but it totally messed up his schedule and I don't know if I would do it again. We stayed with family and anytime Chase would make a peep, I would feed him.

So we did his normal bedtime routine at 7:30--bath, lotion, bottle in the glider and swaddle. But this time I put him in his bed drowsy--not fully asleep. He then awoke at 12:55am just like clockwork. I let him cry it out and he did eventually put himself to sleep. I can honestly say it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I just laid in bed and cried my eyes out. I have to also give credit to Justin. I could not have done it with out him. He just reassured me over and over again that everything was going to be okay.

This morning Chase woke up a little later than normal. I was so nervous to go in his room. He is always so happy in the morning and I was worried I would go in and he would not smile at me...just look at me with those eyes that say, "There you are. I thought for sure you had left me to be in here all alone for the rest of my life." Well, I walk in and start singing and he gives me his huge, gummy grin. I started crying again! He still loves me!!!

We will see how tonight goes. Hopefully the crying will be a little less tonight. We will let you know......

2 comments:

Judy Borawski said...

When Brian was about the same age or a little older I decided to do the same thing. At that time I was still smoking and I'll tell you that I must have smoked five cigarettes in a twenty minute period, but it worked. I know how you felt so now each time it will get better and better. Lots of love, hugs and kisses.

Amanda Gregory said...

I almost picked up the habit last night!!!